What Is Asbestos?
You can’t see it. You can’t taste it, but it can be deadly – what is it? The answer is asbestos. Once called the “magic mineral” because it was used in so many applications, asbestos can still be found in many homes. Roofs, floors, dry wall, plumbing, electrical, and insulation all contained asbestos at one time in the past and many older homes and buildings still do.
Generally, houses built before 1977 often contained asbestos materials but this is not a hard and fast rule. Some homes built after 1977 may also contain asbestos. Sawing, drilling or otherwise disturbing asbestos containing building products can allow the dangerous fibers to become airborne. Once airborne, these microscopic fibers can become inhaled or ingested and set the stage for disease years later. Asbestosis, certain lung cancers and the terminal cancer called mesothelioma are all caused by exposure to asbestos.
How much asbestos can cause disease?
Experts disagree on this, but everyone agrees that people should be more aware of the risks. If you suspect asbestos in your home or building, please let us know and we’ll arrange for a professional asbestos inspection. And if you are a do-it-yourselfer, take all the necessary precautions to avoid asbestos exposure. The life you save may be your own. For more information about asbestos and asbestos disease visit www.survivingmesothelioma.com